Saturday, November 11, 2006

One Moment's Decision & The Invisible Hand Of Fate

It was a day where I am not tied down with many tasks; a time when I can do something which I have not done for quite a while - visiting a library and getting lost in the world of a favourable book.

I was engrossed in reading the book 'A Dialogue on Philosophies of the Orient', a dialgoue compilation between the world-renowned Buddhist scholar Lokesh Chandra and Daisaku Ikeda, a world-honored peace activist and humanist, when rain began to fall.

From about 1 p.m. till 4 p.m., the rain forbade me to leave the Ang Mo Kio library. I took it as a divine encouragement for me to continue this breath-taking journey of walking into this gigantic, boundless and magnificent spiritual palace constructed by these two great men.

The topics were wide-ranging, encompassing and in-depth. From the significance of the Lotus Sutra's title to the history of the flow of Buddhism, from the inner, unseeen yet overflowing struggles of the great Mahatma Gandhi's mind to the very moment of Lord Shakymuni's enlightenment, these two men spoke freely, without hesitation, with no reservation.

It was recorded that when Lord Shakymuni defeated evil and gained his enlightenment, the sky was also receiving it's first streak of light from the sun. In that very moment, the darkest hour from the night, engulfing the entire sky, was dispelled and pushed back by the victorious rays. It was in that historical moment that humanity, for the very first time, understood that they have the power to transform their own fates and lives. It was in that enlightenment that Man, for the very first time, realised that they were endowed with all the possiblities to achieve what had been seen impossbile initially.

That enlightenment marked the first step for all human beings in allowing to empower themselves and elevate their lives out of darkness and miseries.

Upon seeing Lord Shakymuni breaking through his old, deluded self to become an enlightened being, 'Brahma', the Lord of Creation, appeared from the sky and urged Lord Shakymuni to speak out his enlightenment to the world. It was only on the third attempt that Lord Shakymuni agreed to his request. Then, from that moment onwards, his enlightenment was not his own possession anymore. Everything that flowed out from his enlightened consciousness slowly yet steadily formed a gigantic spiritual mountain of what we know today - a world religion for humanity.

The rain poured its heart out with its downpour. At about 5 p.m. plus, it gave way to some light from the grayish sky, and I seized the chance in walking through the rain. "Another thing I haven't done for quite a while too!", I thought to myself. Though the ground was wet and people were mostly going under the shelters, I walked the Ang Mo Kio centre with a sense of lightness - it's been a while since I walked through a crowd and have a good, detailed look at them. Most of the time, I realised I was always on a 'decided' move from a place to another, always going for a specific desinated place. So seldom is the chance for anyone now, against this hasty-paced of economic and social background, to walk freely and unhurriedly through the crowd we call 'the common masses'. "Time stops for no one", or so we say.

By then the rain had completely stopped, and I was enjoying the fresh air of an after-downpour when I decided to take a train. In the train I was struggling between going for the town to have my dinner, or alighting at Bishan station to head for it's library. Underneath that layer of consciouness I knew instinctively I would be tempted to spend my time at town by wandering around. A simpler yet wiser choice would be to step out of the train and head for the library. I was gald I made the right choice. In my heart I congratulated myself for winning a small but important battle.

The significance of this simple decision became instantly clear the moment I stepped out of the station's gate - I saw a friend whom I had known for a long time, but never actually spoken with. I approached her, and as much as with the little memory of me, we began our first conversation right at the bus-stop outside the train station. It was a short contact, but nevertheless I had wanted to learn as much as I wish to share. This, I believe, is in it's minimum a genuine human should do - to be truthful to your friends, and the friendship that binds you both together.

With a fresh sense of happiness, I headed for the library after we departed there. In my heart I wish her all the best in achieving and accomplishing all that she prays and hopes for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi,

its me. yunting. saw u at the bishan mrt on sat nite. this is my blog : www.tingzworld.blogspot.com

keep in touch !

:)